5th July Cavalaire sur mer to Le Rove

The climb out of Cavalaire sur Mer was a shock first thing in the morning. Anywhere the road left the coast on the map even a little bit meant a severe climb. After reaching the little town of Cavaliere after about ten miles, I joined a well maintained cycle route which was to last for the next 30 miles some of it through forest well away from the main road. Several cyclists stopped to chat along this route offering support and encouragement shouting 'bon route'.
It was again very hot well into the 30's and the climb out of Lavandou was severe, but the road flattened out then there was a steady headwind coming in off sea around Hyeres and Carqueiranne one of those boring stretches of road you just had to put the head down and keep going to get through it.
The cycle route took me right into Toulon centre but left me going round in a circle trying to find my route out. I asked a gendarme for directions and he mentioned 'la gare'. I had it in my head during the day to take the train to Marseilles as this was a mountainous stretch and Marseilles I knew would be difficult to cross, so once the gendarme mentioned train station I went for it.
At the station I had two porters carry my rig down the steps and three hours later I was getting off the train in St Charles station in Marseilles. Well worth the 10 euros to cut out the most awkward part of the route. Finding my way from the station was not that difficult although it would be five miles of cycling along busy arterial routes before I would be out of the city. Again the road left the coast and started to climb until I met a tunnel with heavy traffic. I stopped to put on a taillight and had to cycle up the 3ft wide shoulder which was covered with grit. Half way through I became blinded because of the light effect and couldn't even see the foot high kerb to my right. This was the most dangerous time I've ever been on a bike as there was heavy traffic and some lorries; to play safe I really should have walked the narrow footpath at the side of the tunnel. The road climbed endlessly for miles towards le Rove.
Three quarters way up there was a small roadhouse or motel and pizzeria 'chez fanny'. There was a small room available with bathroom basic but clean with a big double bed which I collapsed onto in absolute bliss steam rising from all parts of me. It was good value at 40euro and only available as it was not a tourist area. After a shower, a pizza, a couple of pints, and a great nights sleep I was as good as new.
51 miles cycled
Have a look at the map and more photos here

1 comment:

Leo said...

Hi,

I'm planning to go in a trip from Barcelona to Marseille, by bike. I saw your blog and wonder if can give me some tips. Where did you stay by the nights? Campings?