10th July Pere Pescador to Santa Susana

The tent was packed up extra well for the last time as it could be a long time before it would be used again. It did the job well once fully organised, but in my opinion would be too cramped for two people and I would not like to try and get two bikes into the porch. Leaving Pere Pescador I passed through beautiful country scenery, small quiet country roads bordered by bamboo hedges and fields of sunflowers and orchards. sleepy villages such as Ventallo and Vilopriu. On a small road I had a picnic beside a field of sunflowers; there was not a car or sound. This is the real Spain away from any tourist influence. I dozed off for a while and wakened surrounded by ants carrying away the crumbs and cheese I dropped.

I rejoined the national road for Girona then came off on the C65 where I joined the bicyle path which runs the whole way to the coast. While this path was quite attractive going through farmland and forest, the surface in places was quite rough and it was slow to make up ground so I came off it at Llagostera. Here I had to go on to a newly built motorway for seven miles which was not on my map, and rejoined the national road at Vidreres. The next twenty miles was to be among the worst of the whole trip as there was a strong headwind and long uphill drags one after the other. It was a real relief to see the first sign for Santa Susana a beach resort beside Malgrat de Mar.
Cycling up to the front doors of the hotel onabrava past the packed swimming pool and going straight to the bar for a cool pint was a memorable experience!
64 miles
Have a look at the map and more photos here

No comments: