6th july la rove to saint marie de la mer

Today I would try and follow a bicycle routeI spotted on the website bikely.com which goes through the Camargue national park to the town St Marie de la Mer. There would be no breakfast at the motel as they didn't open until lunch time so the first 10 mile I did on an empty stomach but it was entirely downhill to the harbour village of Carry le Rouet where I had open air breakfast.
Here I met an elderly cyclist, Ricco, who would cycle with me for the next ten miles and showed me the scenic route through Sausset les Pins and the climb towards Martiques. During that time he spoke to me nonstop all in French knowing that I didn't understand most, but continually referred to 'vin rose' he was fond of. From Martiques I took a detour of five miles to Istres to avoid a busy road and from there the roads would be completely flat for the rest of the day. It was also pleasant cycling as the weather was much cooler with a slight south east breeze. Following the signs for the village Salin de Giraud I had to cross the Grand Rhone in a ferry which was full of tourists heading for the Camargue. From the village I followed quiet country roads towards 'Digue de la Mer' a sea dyke which I was advised was just about cyclable with my roadbike.

The first few miles of the dyke was very rough and some of it had to be walked but I had loads of time as I had made good ground earlier, and I enjoyed the quietness and the views of the flamingos wading in the water. After the point where cars were no longer allowed the surface improved and I arrived at the lighthouse 'Phare de la Gauchelle' where I spoke for a while with lady ornothologist who was doing govermnent research for the weekend.
The remaining 15km of the path was fine apart from a couple of long stretches where sand had blown in and I had to push the bike through it. This path is really a mountain bike job amd I was glad I made it through without problems and the mavic kysriumss had no buckles. The path ended in a long beachfront with rows and rows of campervans up to a thousand of them mostly Dutch and German. The campsite 'Camping de la Brise' was nearby and had excellent facilities all for 9 euros. Here I spent an hour cleaning the sand of the bike and had it looking like new.
66 miles
Have a look at the map and more photos here

Irish proverb: 'is minic a bhionn cu mall sona'...'It is often that the slow hound is happy'

No comments: